What better way to teach the beautiful doctrines in primary than through the words of the Prophet? This He Sent His Son Words of the Prophet activity is a great way to introduce, or review, He Sent His Son this year!
** See 30 He Sent His Son Singing Time Ideas here! **
This song teaches beautiful doctrines of Christ’s Atonement and how we can implement it into our lives. Since this song asks many rhetorical questions, it can be helpful to begin with the doctrines and principles of the song before learning the words.
He Sent His Son Words of the Prophet
The idea for this activity is pretty simple. To prepare for this lesson, I started by gathering some of my favorite quotes from prophets and apostles. This may seem like a very big ask, but I began with a simple google search. You can also search through the church’s website to find additional quotes.
After compiling my quotes, I typed them out and printed them in strips. I’ve included a lesson plan later in this post with all my quotes, as well as a full explanation of the activity.
In my search, I tried to find quotes that are short and can be easily understood by children. Here are some of my favorites I found:
- “Each day, ours is the challenge to access the power of the Atonement that we can become fully changed, become more Christlike, and qualify for the gift of exaltation.” – President Russell M. Nelson
- “It is not possible for you to sink lower than the infinite light of Christ’s Atonement.” – Jeffery R. Holland.
- “If you’re not reading the Book of Mormon every day, please do so.” – President Thomas S. Monson
- “Joy comes from and because of Him.” – President Russell M. Nelson
- “We are to seek, in any way we can, to hear Jesus Christ.” – President Russell M. Nelson
After cutting out all the strips, tape them around the primary room. You might choose to put them under seats or tape them to the piano. At the beginning of primary, have the pianist begin playing “He Sent His Son.” As the music is playing, invite the children to look for the quotes.
After all the quotes have been found, read the quotes together as a class. For Junior primary, you might have teachers help with the reading. This is a great time to share your testimony of Jesus Christ and begin teaching He Sent His Son (flip chart here!)
- Compile a list of 5-6 quotes from prophets and apostles. Choose quotes that teach the principles taught in He Sent His Son (lyrics here!)
- Cut out strips of paper with quotes
- Hide quotes around the primary room
- Have the primary pianist begin playing “He Sent His Son.” Invite children to find all the quotes hidden around the room.
- Have children take turns reading each quote.
- After reading all the quotes, begin teaching the words to the first verse of the song.
Using as a Review Activity
If you have already started learning “He Sent His Son” as a class, you can also use this lesson as a fun review activity! This version is a bit more engaging for your Junior primary.
The prep for this activity is very similar to the intro activity. After printing out the quotes, put an action on each quote. For example, you might write “spin around” or “wave your arms.” You could also include dynamics on the quotes, such as “quiet” or “loud.”
After reading one quote, sing the first verse using the designated action. After completing the verse, read another quote as a class and sing the second verse or sing the verse again.
- After reading each quote, invite a teacher or member of the presidency to share their testimony.
- Compile a short power point presentation of the quotes you gather to add some color and images to your activity.
- Pass out a quote to each class. Have each class read their quote quietly to one another. Have each class sing a part of the song when you say their quote.
See another unique and fun way to introduce concepts with this Follow the Prophet Riddles singing time idea!
He Sent His Son Words of the Prophet Printable Lesson Plan
To make your lesson planning easy, I’ve created this printable with the quotes I will use for this activity. They are easy to cut out in a chart of 6 quotes!
I’ve also added a printable lesson plan and a larger, colorful version of the quotes as part of the INSTANT Primary Singing membership when He Sent His Son is the featured song of the month!
To access the free in-post printables for this post, you’ll just need to create a free account or login with the Grow.me tool. Then, confirm by email and refresh the page and ALL my free printables will automatically unlock in every post!
For more information on why I use a content lock or how to create your account, you can see the FAQ page here.
If you are looking for another fun way to review He Sent His Son, try out this He Sent His Son Jingle Bells Activity!