Are you looking for a super fun and easy to way to review through a single song or a mix of songs for a Primary Program review with tons of singing but still a fun way to engage the children to pick what song or verse to sing? You’ll love this Sing by Color song review game to do just that!
This game was inspired after UNO cards, but even so it doesn’t play like a traditional UNO game. You can grab a set of UNO cards to play through this activity or use my printable Sing by Color printable cards.
Sing by Color Song Review
Pick 1-10 songs to review. Assign each song a specific color. You can write the song title on the matching color card or use a matching colored paper and write your song titles. You can also pick a picture to coordinate with your song title and mount that with the coordinating colored paper.
If you choose to review only 1 or 2 songs, you’ll use the second set of prompts and break your song of choice into 2 or 4 sections either by verse or part of the song to review and assign each to one of the 4 colors.
Cut out the cards you’d like to use with as many colors you want to include. You can save your printer and use an UNO card game deck. Just pull out a 1, 2, 3, Draw 2, Reverse, and Skip in each color and 2 Wilds.
Pick one keyword for each song ahead of time to use with the Skip card.
Print out the groups picker and let the child who drew the card also select the two groups to sing. You can use my 110+ Ways to Sing a Song post to help you come up with your dividing ideas for groups!
Sing by Color Cards for 3-10 Songs:
Use these card rules if you’re playing with 3 or more songs.
- 1 – Sing the 1st verse of the song of that color
- 2 – Sing the 2nd verse of the song of that color
- 3 – Sing the 3rd verse of the song of that color
- +2 – Pick a verse to sing and 2 groups to sing
- Reverse – Sing the last verse first, then the middle verse, and finally the 1st verse
- Skip – Skip a repeating keywords specific for that song
- Wild – Pick which color to sing! Select which wild cards to include based on your color selections.
Sing by Color Cards for 1-2 Songs:
Switch to these rules if you’re singing just 1 or 2 songs with smaller parts or a specific verse assigned to each color.
- 1 – Sing the assigned part of the song 1 time
- 2 – Sing the assigned part of the song 2 times
- 3 – Sing the assigned part of the song 3 times
- +2 – Pick 2 groups to sing
- Reverse – Turn around and face the back of the room and sing
- Skip – Skip a repeating keywords specific for that verse/phrase
- Wild – Pick which color to sing!
How to Play:
Invite a child to come up and draw a card. Reveal what card was drawn and follow the directions on the card for which card to sing.
For example, if you draw a Red 2, you’ll sing your song preselected as the red song. Sing through the 2nd verse of the Red song one time.
Since there is only one of each card, you’ll make your way through singing a variety of songs in a randomly selected order and pattern. It’s a fun and simple way to pick how to sing next while focusing on lots of singing.
Tips for Playing:
You can pick and choose exactly what cards to include. If some of your songs are only one verse but others are a few verses, remove the extra cards you don’t need. You can also selectively just choose the verses the kids need to practice and have a more specific selection of your cards to choose from.
You can have a separate deck for Junior Primary and Senior Primary and continue this activity for a couple of weeks until you make your way through all your songs.
To use over several weeks, you can adjust which colors to include. You might break your list into two separate groups to make it easier on your pianist, for example, and focus on just a few of the songs to better evaluate how well the kids know those songs. Then, start with a new batch of cards the following week or only carry forward the colors that still need additional review.
- You can add a fun ways to sing for the basic 1, 2, and 3 cards to add a little more fun to the activity.
- Challenge the children that the Sing by Color card will only be removed if they sing the verse strong and well! Use this activity to count down to the Primary Program presentation. You’ll get extra practice on the songs that need it.
For another fun review activity, head over to see this Blown Out of the Water singing time activity!
Sing by Color Printable Song Helps
This free in-post printable includes 4 title cards to help you assign your songs by color! You can grab your UNO cards from your game cupboard and you’re all set following the ideas above!
Join INSTANT Primary Singing for extended printables including a full set of Sing by Color Cards for 10 colors and white to print on colored paper plus title cards and a group picker! You’ll find these bonus files included in the September Doctrine & Covenants packet.
You can also pick up the extended printables in my shop, here.
To access the free in-post printables for this post, you’ll just need to create a free account or login with the Grow.me tool. Then, confirm by email and refresh the page and ALL my free printables will automatically unlock in every post!
For more information on why I use a content lock or how to create your account, you can see the FAQ page here.
Next, head over to this adorable Let’s Get the Bugs Out Primary Program review activity!
What other fun ways will you use this Sing by Color review game activity in your Primary room?