Have some fun with this When We Seek Him Line Matching logical activity! Match each phrase of the verse and chorus with its correct pair! You will love using this simple activity as you review When We Seek Him in primary!
Whether you are using this lesson plan for Junior primary, Senior primary, or BOTH, you’ll see that this activity is a great way to test your primary kids to see how well they know this sweet Christmas song!
When We Seek Him Line Matching Activity
This line matching activity is so simple and so fun! For this activity, just work together as a primary class to correctly pair up phrases of the song! We have printable line matching posters for verses 1-2 and the chorus later in this post!
To prepare for this activity, I broke down each of the lines of the song into smaller 2-3 word chunks. Then, I created a poster that contains phrases on both the left and right sides of the paper. On the left side, I wrote small word chunks for the first half of song phrases.
The right side contains the second half to the phrase. I mixed up the order of the phrases so that the song is not in perfect order! During primary, match one phrase at a time by making a line from one word chunk to the corresponding word chunk on the other side!
During primary, work on one matching page at a time as a class. I definitely recommend only working on one page at a time, unless you are doing a speed competition between classes.
Start by reviewing the lyrics to When He Comes Again (check out our flipchart here). I always like to start by reviewing the song once to remind the kids how the song goes. It’s also nice if you have children who missed last week’s lesson.
Then, bring out the matching page for Verse 1. Have the kids look at the first phrase and see if they can find its pair! Once you find one or two matches, sing through the song again. This is a great way to get in lots of practice!
- Review When We Seek Him by starting with the first verse and chorus. If the kids are confident with the first verse, try singing the second verse too!
- Then, ask the children if they’re up for a challenge.
- Put one of the line matching posters on the board – I recommend starting with the first verse.
- Sing through the first verse. This time, invite the kids to pay attention to the order of the lyrics.
- Then, see if they can match the first half of the first phrase with its corresponding second half. Once you match two lines, sing through the verse again!
- Once you have all the phrases matched for the first verse, move on to the chorus!
- Continue singing until you complete ALL the line matching posters! Sing through the entire song one more time.
- Cut out each of the phrases beforehand. Put the phrases in an envelope labelled with “Verse 1,” “Chorus,” etc. During primary, give each class one of the envelopes. Have each class work together to match the phrases for their assigned section. Then, have them switch with another group! Rotate envelopes until each group has tried each one. Sing through When We Seek Him each time you switch.
- Learn more about the wise men from the story, “We Three Kings” in the 2009 New Era. As you share about the three wise men and how we can be like them, sing through the song.
- Make it a “gameshow!” Grab some fun buzzers and have kids face off to see who can correctly finish the phrase. You can find out more about this type of activity in this fun Guess What’s Next primary game.
For another fun line matching primary idea, try this Baptism Line Match game!
When We Seek Him Line Matching Activity Printable Lesson Plan
You don’t need any extra materials for this activity other than this printable lesson plan! It’s a simple print-and-go activity! The first page of this lesson plan includes activity instructions, as well as 3 additional extension ideas.
Pages 2-4 include 8×11 matching posters for verses 1-2 of the song, as well as the chorus! The left side of each poster includes the first half of different lines in the song. The right side contains the latter half of the lines. Just print out the sections you want to practice and you’re ready to go!
If you want each child to have their own matching paper, print out enough pages for the entire class!
Subscribe to Primary Singing PLUS+
to Unlock Free Printables
Our printables are free to our email subscribers and loyal fans! You can sign up to join the free Primary Singing PLUS+ to unlock all in-post printables on this website automatically by sharing your email address.
For all the details of how Primary Singing PLUS+ works and answers to FAQs read more details here! Already an email subscriber? Grab your printable below!
For another fun way to review this sweet song, check out this When We Seek Him Christmas Dance Scarves activity!
Do your primary children enjoy playing logical games in primary? Which ones are their favorites?