This year in primary, we’ll be learning Choose the Right Way. I love that this song teaches about the joy we feel when we choose the right. You primary children will have so much fun with this Choose the Right Way Mirror Your Partner activity!
This people interactions activity is a great way for kids to interact with each other AND engage in some fun movements during singing time! Mirror each other’s actions in a silly way and the “right way” as you sing this primary song!
Head here to see Choose the Right Way Singing Time Ideas for easy ways to teach this song!
Choose the Right Way Mirror Your Partner
This movement activity is such a fun way to review the Choose the Right Way! As your primary children mirror each other’s actions in a “silly” way and in the “right” way, they will be able to better understand what it means to choose the right way.
This activity is great because you don’t need any extra materials aside from some paper and pencil. I love to have some simple activities that require little to no prep in my back pocket for a busy Sunday!
How to Play:
- At the beginning of primary, start by reviewing the first verse using this Choose the Right flip chart!
- Then, have the children stand up and tell them there is an imaginary mirror between you and the class
- Do a simple action, like touching your nose or waving your arms. Have the children try to mirror the action. Then, have them mirror your action, but in a silly way (ex. Grabbing their nose and wiggling it instead of touching their nose).
- Have each child choose a partner. Have the children take turns choosing actions and having the partner mirror the actions. Have them first mirror the action in a “silly” way, then have them mirror the action the right way.
- Have them practice mirroring actions once or twice, then add in the music!
- As you sing through the song, have partnerships switch off being the mirror of each other. Have them switch each time you sing through the verse.
- Share your testimony of choosing the path and following the promptings of the Holy Ghost as we make decisions.
Choose the Right Way – Mirror Actions
For this activity, you’ll want some ideas for actions on hand! Some children may be a bit more shy and need some help coming up with ideas. Here’s a list of Easy, Medium, and Challenging action ideas for this mirror activity!
You could put these ideas up on the board or write them out on strips of paper for children to choose! See what fun actions the kids can come up with!
- Touch your nose
- Pat your head
- Pat your knees
- Touch your toes
Medium Difficulty Actions:
- Skip in place
- Snap your fingers
- Pat your head and rub your tummy
- Do Jumping Jacks
- Clap your hands to a rhythm
- Shuffle your feet side to side
- Do a push up!
- Hug your neighbor
– Have a list of actions written on strips of paper and put the pieces of paper in a jar. While you sing, have a child stand at the front of the room and choose an action from the jar. Have the rest of the class be their mirror!
– Instead of mirroring the action, have the children try to do the opposite of the action they see! For example, if your partner touches their head, their partner could reach down low and touch their toes.
– I love getting teachers involved in singing time! Have teachers choose actions for their classes to mirror!
For another fun mirror movement activity, check out this Fathers Be My Mirror Movement activity
Choose the Right Way Mirror Your Partner Printable Song Helps
This simple 1-page printable includes a fun list of different mirror your partner actions to help you use this activity with a variety of different actions.
Join the INSTANT Primary Singing membership and you’ll find additional printables including a colorful 1-page mirror your partner grid and 1/4 page action cards. These extended printables are included when Choose the Right Way is a featured song of the month.
To access the free in-post printables for this post, you’ll just need to create a free account or login with the Grow.me tool. Then, confirm by email and refresh the page and ALL my free printables will automatically unlock in every post!
For more information on why I use a content lock or how to create your account, you can see the FAQ page here.
For another fun and unique way to teach this song, head over to see our Choose the Right Way Missing Words activity next!
What fun actions will you choose to use for this Mirror Your Partner activity?