Would you like to try teaching the Articles of Faith with a little bit of a different approach then the compositions in the Children’s Songbook? You’ll love this super unique set of arrangements using classic music to teach the Articles of Faith!
This is such a fun way introduce classical music and the Articles of Faith at the same time! I thought these were just so much fun and would be fun to play around your home or use in Singing Time.
Classic Articles of Faith
You can watch the video and hear what these Classic Articles of Faith sound like from this YouTube video.
My favorite just might be #6, which is your favorite?
How to Teach Articles of Faith in Singing Time
I like to include teaching the Articles of Faith as part of the Doctrine & Covenants year of study for Come, Follow Me. It’s of course the perfect year to include them!
My preference is to work them in at the very beginning of Primary. I’ll usually start with a different song first, then sing through one of the Articles of Faith. I use that transition time as the Primary children get to the Primary room SO fast!
It is often otherwise wasted on just getting setup and ready to get started, so this allows me to sneak in a few extra songs without taking away from the 20 minutes of singing time. We start Primary right at 10 minutes after, following the suggested schedule.
If you have a divided Primary, you can use these extra songs after the closing prayer while you’re waiting for parent pickup while keeping the kids engaged in an activity.
Here are a few ideas and methods to help you teach the Articles of Faith:
- Play the Classic Articles of Faith video with the article you are working on.
- Say the line one phrase at a time, and have the children repeat back the line as your echo.
- Say, Echo, then sing together one line at a time. Start from the beginning and build up into bigger pieces of the verse until you have it all together!
- Put the first letters of each word up on the board. This will help give a clue, but they’ll still have to use their memory to recall the specific word!
- Write all the words on the board including keywords in different colors. Roll a dice to pick a color. Sing that colored keyword in a special way or remove that keyword.
- Add movement or rhythm! This will help engage the children and connect the words better in their memory.
- Send the Articles of Faith home with the children and challenge them to practice them at home and return to pass off each for a prize!
- Sing through the entire Article of Faith, then ask the children which part of the melody they liked best! Sing through that little piece of the song first! Build up until you have a few different favorite phrases and then the whole song.
For another way to teach the Articles of Faith, I love included them pre-printed on the podium and using them in place of reading a scripture each week.
Classical Articles of Faith Sheet Music
These Classical Articles of Faith arrangements were arranged by Traci Smyth. This sweet sister reached out to me to ask if I would share the arrangements, with permission to include her Sheet Music here so you can easily download it later. There is also a direct link to the sheet music in her YouTube video.
For more helps, head over to grab my Articles of Faith flip chart here!
What other fun ways have you used to teach the Articles of Faith in your Primary room?