Your primary kids will just LOVE this fun Faith Dance Scarves Team Challenge! This activity is great because it fits under TWO of our learning styles: people interactions AND movement!
For this team challenge, I’ll be splitting the class into 4 different groups. Each group will have their own dance scarves pattern with 1-2 actions for a short section of Faith. Then, I’ll have each group sing their section while sharing their dance scarves pattern!
*See TONS of Faith Singing Time Ideas here*
Faith Song Dance Scarves Team Challenge
Before primary, print out the dance scarves pattern sheets and cut out strips with each section of the song written out.
Review the first verse and chorus of Faith (flip chart here) with your primary.
Split the class into 4 groups. Have each group meet in one corner of the room. Give each group their assigned section of the song and dance scarves pattern. Pass out dance scarves to each class.
It may be wise to put together sets of dance scarves along with the pattern sheets. This way, when you split up the groups, you can just randomly pass out a set to each group.
Give the groups about 5 minutes to practice their section while trying out their dance scarves pattern. While they practice, you could ask the pianist to play the song or have a speaker ready to play the song quietly.
Walk around to each group to see if they have questions about the pattern. You can demonstrate the actions for them if they are unsure.
When all groups are ready, have the groups arrange themselves in order of 1st group (beginning of the song) to the 4th group (end of the song).
Begin singing the song and have each group sing only their assigned section while doing the dance scarves actions for their part.
Then, switch groups! Have the children pass their pattern to another group until each group has done every section!
Faith Team Dance Scarves Patterns:
For this activity, I’ve grouped the dance scarves actions in 4 different groups. Each group will have 2 actions for their assigned section, excluding group 3. The pattern for group 3 takes a little longer to make (as I’ll explain below).
You can explain all the actions at the same time or just pass out the pattern posters and come around to each group to explain their actions. They may be able to figure them out just by looking at the image!
- Up Arrow: For the first action, start by holding the corner of your dance scarves down low. Then, slowly bring the scarves up, like they’re in the sky. Use this action while you sing, “Faith is knowing the sun will rise”
- Circle: For this action, hold the corner of the dance scarf and bring your arm up and around in a big clock-wise circle. Use this action while you sing “lighting each new day.”
- Umbrella/Rainbow: I like to call this action a “rainbow” or “umbrella” shape because you just bring your dance scarves from the left side to the right side while making a large upside-down “U” shape. Use this action while you sing, “Faith is knowing the Lord will hear”
- Rectangle: Make a rectangle shape with your dance scarves by starting in one corner and bringing your scarf to the other side in a straight line. Finish the rectangle by bringing the scarf down and back. Use this action while you sing, “My prayers each time I pray.”
- Flower: I thought it would be really cute to create a flower with your dance scarves since this song is all about growing seeds! There are a lot of ways to create this shape, but I like to start by making a stem, and then drawing a circle with the dance scarves. Make smaller circles for petals! Use this action while singing, “Faith is like a little seed: if planted, it will grow. “
- Heart: Create a heart with your dance scarves by starting in the center and making a large curve and bringing it down. Then, you can either retrace the side of the heart and make the other side OR you can just stop at the bottom and make the curve for the other side of the heart. Use this action for the line, “Faith is a swelling within my heart.”
- Left and Right: This action is nice and simple! Just bring your dance scarf from the left to the right side while keeping it at shoulder-height.
- For an extra challenge, give each group their assigned lines in the song but let them choose what dance scarves actions to use!
- Pass out 5-8 dance scarves pattern cards to each group. Have each group work together to come up with their own dance scarves pattern for the entire song! Have each group come up and perform their song or teach it to the class!
- Mix up the actions and give them to a different section! Most of the actions are easily adaptable to different lines of the song. Switch actions and have the kids try singing the same section while doing a different action!
For another fun team activity, head over to this Tell Me The Stories of Jesus Team Band singing time idea!
Faith Song Team Dance Scarves
You can try out all the dance scarves actions with me in this demo video! In this video, I go through all 7 dance scarves patterns in this activity and share some additional ideas for how to use this activity in singing time! Just grab the link below and make sure to have your dance scarves with you!
–> Faith Song Team Dance Scarves Demonstration Video <–
Faith Dance Scarves Team Challenge Printable
Once you grab this dance scarves team challenge printable, you’ll be all set for this fun activity! In this printable, I’ve included full-page pattern posters for all 4 groups. Each poster has the group number and symbols that represent the different dance scarves actions.
I’ve also included a page that has each group’s lyrics written. Just print and cut out the lyrics strips and attach them to the group posters! Give the posters to each group once you’ve explained the activity!
Subscribe to Primary Singing PLUS+
to Unlock Free Printables
Our printables are free to our email subscribers and loyal fans! You can sign up to join the free Primary Singing PLUS+ to unlock all in-post printables on this website automatically by sharing your email address.
For all the details of how Primary Singing PLUS+ works and answers to FAQs read more details here! Already an email subscriber? Grab your printable below!
If you enjoyed this idea, you’ll love this Faith Egg Shakers activity too!
How will you use this fun group activity in singing time?
This post may also be available in: English Español