Let’s really dive into the “giving” aspect of the Primary song Give Said the Little Stream with this super fun and engaging activity! This Give Said the Little Stream Rolling Rhythm Sticks activity will be so much fun and interactive while teaching this song with a meaningful way that represents the lyrics!
Give Said the Little Stream
Rolling Rhythm Sticks
How to Play:
Sing through Give Said the Little Stream song (flipchart here) once, before introducing this activity.
Invite a child to come up front and help demonstrate your activity! Tell them that they will roll the rhythm stick back and forth to each other on every line of the song. Sing the first 3-4 lines of the song while you demonstrate.
- Ask the children, what did they notice?
- When do you roll your rhythm sticks?
- How fast should you roll them?
Have the children buddy up into pairs of 2. Pass out one rhythm stick to each group.
Sing through the song rolling the rhythm stick on the floor along with the melody switching partners line by line.
Sing the first line of the song while partner 1 rolls the rhythm stick along the ground using their palms until it reaches their partner.
Next, on the second line of the song partner 2 will roll the rhythm stick back.
Remind the children that they are “giving” the rhythm stick to their partner. How is this action like the song?
- Combine groups of two into groups of 4 and try rolling the rhythm sticks activity again in this larger group!
- Freeze the song randomly! See if the correct partner has the rhythm stick! This is a great way to help keep the kids on track instead of speeding up or zooming through the song.
- Try a challenge to roll the rhythm stick extra quickly if their line of the song includes the word “give.”
- Roll the rhythm stick off your hands to land in the other person’s hands, if you need to avoid using the floor for any reason.
Head over to this engaging activity next to use Rhythm Sticks to teach Jesus Has Risen!
Give Said the Little Stream Rolling Rhythm Sticks Printable Song Helps
This free printable includes a 1-page with the keyword at the start of each line of the song to remind the kids when it’s time to roll the rhythm stick. There’s also a larger version with just the verse keywords on a single page.
You’ll find additional extended printables for the 2nd and 3rd verse and a colorful rhythm sticks guide included in the INSTANT Primary Singing membership when I’ll Walk with You is the featured song of the month.
To access the free in-post printables for this post, you’ll just need to create a free account or login with the Grow.me tool. Then, confirm by email and refresh the page and ALL my free printables will automatically unlock in every post!
For more information on why I use a content lock or how to create your account, you can see the FAQ page here.
For a wonderful engaging way to teach this song, head over to this Give Said the Little Stream Color Code lesson plan!
What other fun ways could you extended this Rolling Rhythm Sticks activity?