This FUN I Love to See the Temple Call and Response is a great review activity for primary! You can make it a game show style activity with teams and prizes, or keep it simple!
As you practice finishing the phrases of this beautiful song, your primary children will become more confident as they sing I Love to See the Temple in singing time!
When planning review activities for my Senior primary especially, I typically like to think of activities that allow for a little bit of competition and some thinking! This activity checks both those boxes AND it is simple enough that your Junior primary can enjoy it too!
I Love to See the Temple Call and Response
I’m really excited for this fun call and response game. The idea for this activity came from thinking about all the fun “finish the sentence” activities I do with my primary children.
I wanted to bring something familiar with a little twist, and I think this activity will deliver on both those components!
I Love to See the Temple is written in such a way that each phrase of the song follows the previous phrase very smoothly, almost in a “call and response” way. For this activity, children will be asked to recall a phrase of the song when given the previous phrase.
To help you prep for this activity, I’ve created a printable that includes call and response word strips. During primary, you’ll be reading the first phrase and waiting for a child to finish the sentence.
Since this activity is pretty simple, I decided to add a little competition! During this activity, children will be split into 2-3 groups. As you read the call and response word strips, teams will have to raise their hand to finish the word strip.
If the team finishes the call and response correctly, they will be awarded the word strip. As you continue challenging children to finish the call and response, keep track of how many word strips each team has been awarded. The team with the most word strips at the end wins!
How to Play:
- At the beginning of primary, start by reviewing the first verse of I Love to See the Temple (flip chart available here).
- Introduce the activity by trying a simple call and response, such as “To infinity…”
- Create 2-3 teams and explain that each group will be competing to see which team can win the most call and response cards.
- Once teams are created, read aloud one call and response word strip randomly. Teams must raise their hand when they are certain they can repeat the second part of the phrase. It is up to your discretion which team raised their hand first.
- If a team answers the call and response correctly, give them the word strip for that round.
- Continue providing the “call” and waiting for the response until you’ve finished both verses! Count up the word strips for both teams and announce a winner!
- If you aren’t ready to make it a competition, tape up a few call and response word strips to the board at one time. While you sing, invite children to come up and fill in the response.
- Add in some fun call and response word strips to the mix. You might choose to do some fun word strips from a Disney song or musical. You could even choose to use some primary songs you learned earlier in the year!
- Give each class a set of their own call and response word strips. Give each class a marker to fill out the word strips. Compete to see which class finishes their word strips first!
For another fun competitive review game, check out this I Will Walk With Jesus What’s Next activity!
I Love to See the Temple Call and Response Printable Lesson Plan
This I Love to See the Temple Call and Response Printable Lesson Plan is designed to help make this activity even simpler for you! The first page of this lesson plan includes activity instruction and some additional extension ideas.
The second page of this printable includes the call and response word strips. Each of these word strips contains a complete phrase. There is a blank space that should be filled by another complete phrase that follows the first.
Just print out these word strips and fold them in a jar or keep the entire sheet as an answer key for your game!
How to Login to Unlock Downloads!
You can access ALL of our free lesson plans, flip charts, and other printables and downloads by subscribing! Grow.me is a really cool tool that lets you bookmark and save your favorite posts. See our FAQ page here if you need additional help!
Step 1: Click the Unlock Printables button below or 3 Dots icon in the bottom left corner.
Step 2: Create a free account with Grow.me and login.
*NOTE: We do not ask for ANY Credit card information on our lesson plans!! If you see any type of request, that’s not my site!
Step 3: That’s it! All download files will automatically be unlocked as long as you are logged in! If you’re already logged in, you’ll see the PDF preview and/or download button below.
Signing up will subscribe you to our email newsletter or update your subscription status if you previously unsubscribed. Our newsletter shares the latest weekly posts with timely and fun Singing Time ideas and new printable lesson plans!
👇 Download Here 👇
For another fun review activity, check out I Love to See the Temple Hand Claps!