Your primary children will LOVE this fun Teach Me to Walk in the Light Rebus Game! It uses fun visual icons and a cute teacher graphic to teach the lyrics of Teach Me to Walk in the Light in primary!
You can also use it as a crack the code or concentration style game to try to solve what each phrase means!
**Head Here to See all 12 Teach Me to Walk in the Light Singing Time Ideas!**
Teach Me to Walk in the Light Rebus
*Downloads are available at the bottom of the post when signed in!*
How to Play:
Sing through Teach Me to Walk in the Light (flip chart) song once before introducing the activity.
Post the 4 posters (1 per line from the 1st verse) up on the board, out of order if you’d like. Ask the children what do you see in these posters? Tell them to watch them carefully while you sing through the song again.
Now, ask the children if they spotted which one goes first. Rearrange it to the first spot and sing through the song again. You’re right! You got that first one! Can you find which one comes next?
Continue singing through the song until all 4 are in order.
Explain in a brief sentence or two or have the kids answer what each one represents. For example, how do you teach someone to walk in the light of his love? What might that mean? You can fill in answers they give on the poster to add ideas of ways they can teach each concept!
5 More Fun Ways to Use this
Teach me to Walk in the Light Rebus
- Skip singing all the words represented by the icons. For example: walk, light, love for the first line of the song.
- Clap or add a themed action instead of singing the word. Such as: Stomp, Twinkly fingers, Form a heart with your hands.
- Use the blank teaching chart 1-page, 4-page, or draw your own simple drawing up on the white board. Now, scatter all the symbols around the board and have the kids find and place 3 for each line. You can separate the box into rows or just work on one line at a time.
- If you want to make a fun DIY out of this activity, you could cut a slit in the teaching board graphic, then cut out the symbols. Attach to a long and thin piece of construction paper. Then, let a child pull one side through to move through each of the graphics as you sing through the song.
- Use the poster with all of the symbols on one page instead and just cut them out, scramble them up, and let a child draw one symbol. Sing that word as LOUD as you can the next time through the song.
I made these hand-drawn Rebus Puzzle to teach Baptism and they were so much fun! If you’re looking for more ideas on how to use a Rebus in Singing Time head over to see that post (and printables!)
Teach Me to Walk in the Light Rebus Singing Time Printable Lesson Plan
This printable lesson plan includes a few different ways to use it and 2 print sizes so you can best fit your Primary’s needs! First, a 1-page overview of how to use this activity in singing time and our extension ideas!
Then, you can choose to print the 4-page posters with one teaching poster per line of the 1st verse. Next comes a blank teacher poster and 1-page with all the symbols so you can let the kids find the correct symbols and fill in the posters themselves!
I’ve also included a larger size with 2 pages of symbols and a 4-page teacher with whiteboard cutout. Or, simply draw a defined area or teacher up on the whiteboard!
To access the free in-post printables for this post, you’ll just need to create a free account or login with the Grow.me tool. Then, confirm by email and refresh the page and ALL my free printables will automatically unlock in every post!
For more information on why I use a content lock or how to create your account, you can see the FAQ page here.
Try out this fun Teach Me to Walk in the Light Clap, Pat & Snap activity next!
What other fun ideas do you have for using this Teach Me to Walk in the Light Concentration game?