A rebus is a word puzzle. Usually they are really clever, like this one for another popular Primary song:
MIL ONE LION
Do you know what it stands for? One in a Million. Get it? “One” is “in” the middle of a “million”. I’m not all that clever, but I wanted to create puzzle type pictures to represent the words and thus this Baptism Song rebus activity was created!
I’m sure the creatives out there could easily adapt this to any of the other verses, too.
How to Play:
– I plan to post the posters one at a time on the board and have the kids help me decode each one.
– Sing through the song up to as far as you have added posters, repeating it over and over until you have the whole song up on the board.
– Use these for review and put them out of order. Have the kids rearrange them until they are in the right order.
– Hide the posters around the room, and let a child look for one during the verse. They’ll stay up front holding that poster while everyone sings through the song, skipping the verses you’ve found so far! Keep picking friends to find a poster until you’ve found all 6.
– Flip over the posters one at a time until they’re all hidden, singing through the song after each new hidden sign.
– Challenge the kids to come up with their own rebus drawings! Give them a phrase and let them draw a rebus while you sing through the whole verse. If they need help or ideas, you can let them refer to the contact sheet.
Printable Singing Time Plan
I’ve included two version of the rebus you can choose from. I first drew these up as posters on cardstock and scanned those to help others that may want to use this activity. Because of the heavy ink use, I’ve also drawn a simple version in Word, too.
You won’t need to print both versions, just decide which one is best for your needs or preferences and print the pages that correspond. You can also simply print this instruction page and the first “contact” page to reference in Primary and draw your own or draw them right onto the white board!
After special request for additional verses, I’ve gone ahead and added the 2nd verse (in computer drawing version only). See the updated lesson plan attached.
Click here —> to Print Baptism Rebus Lesson Plan
You may also love these other fun activities for the Baptism Song:
What other ways could you use these Baptism rebus posters?