I’m not all that clever, but I wanted to create puzzle type pictures to represent the words and thus this Baptism song rebus activity was created!
A rebus is a word puzzle. Usually they are really clever, like this one for another popular Primary song:
MIL ONE LION
Do you know what it stands for? One in a Million. Get it? “One” is “in” the middle of a “million”. I’m sure the creatives out there could easily adapt this to any of the other verses, too.
** See 20 Baptism Song Singing Time Ideas here **
Baptism Song Rebus
How to Play:
– I plan to post the posters one at a time on the board and have the kids help me decode each one.
– Sing through the song up to as far as you have added posters, repeating it over and over until you have the whole song up on the board.
– Use these for review and put them out of order. Have the kids rearrange them until they are in the right order.
– Hide the posters around the room, and let a child look for one during the verse. They’ll stay up front holding that poster while everyone sings through the song, skipping the verses you’ve found so far! Keep picking friends to find a poster until you’ve found all 6.
– Flip over the posters one at a time until they’re all hidden, singing through the song after each new hidden sign.
– Challenge the kids to come up with their own rebus drawings! Give them a phrase and let them draw a rebus while you sing through the whole verse. If they need help or ideas, you can let them refer to the contact sheet.
Head over next for a really fun and unique singing time idea in this He Sent His Son Crack the Code lesson plan.
Baptism Song Rebus Printable Singing Time Lesson Plan
I originally drew these up as posters on cardstock and scanned those to help others that may want to use this activity.
Because of the heavy ink use, I’ve also drawn a simple version in Word, too.
You’ll find a printable lesson plan, additional Rebus puzzles for the 2nd verse, my original hand drawn rebus puzzles, and 1/2 page puzzles! They’re included in the INSTANT Primary Singing membership when Baptism is the song of the month! Or, grab these printables in my shop.
To access the free in-post printables for this post, you’ll just need to create a free account or login with the Grow.me tool. Then, confirm by email and refresh the page and ALL my free printables will automatically unlock in every post!
For more information on why I use a content lock or how to create your account, you can see the FAQ page here.
You may also love these other fun activities for the Baptism Song:
What other ways could you use these Baptism rebus posters?