I always look forward to bring out the rhythm sticks! I’ll be using rhythm sticks for Tell Me the Stories of Jesus to highlight the flow of the song.
Rhythm Sticks Pattern for
Tell Me the Stories of Jesus
Over and Under
- Click one stick on top of the other, then switch position and click the other stick on top.
- 8 total clicks on each of these bold spots.
- “Tell me the / stories of / Je- / -sus / I / love to / he- / -ar“
Click Up and Down
- Hold one stick steady and click the other stick starting close to your holding hand and down to the end of the stick.
- 8 total clicks, 4 working the way down the stick and then start back up by the starting hand and work down to the end again.
- “Things I would / ask him to / te-ll / me / if / he were / he- / -re“
Tap Flat & Dab
- Tap the two rhythm sticks one on top of the other flat = on “Scenes by the”
- Hold both sticks out to the right in a dab = on “wayside”
- Tap the two rhythm sticks one on top of the other flat = on “tales of the”
- Hold both sticks out to the left in a dab = on “sea”
Big Arch Tap
- Form a big arch over head with 4 distinct taps
- “Sto- / -ries of / Je- / -sus“
Free Style and Freeze
- Free Style – kids pick their own taps or movements, as long as they are appropriate! (Those that sword fight have to hold them behind their back instead). “tell them to”
- Freeze – Stop mid-movement during your free style and hold your position on “me”
Junior Primary Pattern:
- Click Up and Down – Repeat this pattern for the first two lines
- Big Arch Taps – Repeat this pattern for the second two lines
Alternate Simple Rhythm Pattern:
- Fast taps for all the “odd” measures = 1, 3, 5..
- Slow rub for all the “even” measures = 2, 4, 6..
- Fast tap = “Tell me the stories of”
- Slow rub = “Jesus”
- Fast tap = “I love to”
- Slow Rub = “hear”
See the Rhythm Stick
Pattern in Action
If you’re willing to look past the imperfections in the video (totally missed my dab cue!!!) and hold no judgement against me or my singing skills, then I’m willing to share this quickly made video of the pattern to help you visualize it a little better! You’ve been warned!! 🙂
If for any reason the video above isn’t loading for you, you can see it posted on YouTube here.
Rhythm Stick Pattern Cards
Find out more about our printable rhythm stick pattern cards in this post!
The Rhythm Stick Action Cards are also available as an email subscriber freebie for a limited time only!! Subscribe here, if you haven’t already. (Current subscribers refer to your weekly email for the link!)