Rhythm Sticks activities are probably my very favorite singing time musical instrument to bring in! I’m not sure why, I just really love them!!
I started using them with really simple actions first – a steady or a quick tap or a steady or quick rub, but the actions quickly grew from there. Really, there are so many different things you can do with your rhythm sticks!
Affiliate links are used in this post.
Rhythm Sticks Activities & Lesson Plans
If you’re just getting started with using rhythm sticks with music, it can be helpful to see some examples on how they can be used. You’ll want to have enough for at least half your group, if possible.
Rhythm Sticks are often sold in sets of 12 (24 total sticks). So if you have 24 or fewer kids in your Primary, you can absolutely get away with just a single set.
I got my original set of Rhythm Sticks from Oriental Trading, but they’re all boring blue! When it came time to buy a set for the Primary closet, I went with Amazon and love the colorful rhythm sticks sets that are approximately $1/ per rhythm stick.
- Tell Me the Stories of Jesus – Rhythm Sticks
- When I Am Baptized – Rhythm Sticks
- A Child’s Prayer – Team Band
- Tell Me the Stories of Jesus – Team Band
Ideas for Using the Rhythm Stick Songs Pattern Cards
– Find the time signature (such a 4/4) then look to make a repeating pattern that fits the number of beats per measure. It’s helpful to repeat a pattern for 2 or 4 measures, before switching to a new action.
– Try creating action patterns that encourage working with a partner. Several of our cards are specifically for partners, like rolling rhythm sticks back and forth! This is a great way to build people skills and have the kids working together.
– Switch up the pattern as you get to the chorus for a nice change of pace.
– Purchase enough rhythm sticks for half your Primary will let you naturally build in repetition as you let the kids take turns there is a very purposeful reason for singing through the song double the times!
– Try letting the kids pick a rhythm sticks pattern card and customizing new sequences with the kids help! Or, pick a leader and let them switch between 2-3 actions whenever they want (like a stop and go game).
Rhythm Stick Pattern Cards
Similar to my printable dance scarves movement cards and ribbon wand action cards, the Rhythm Stick pattern cards are available in two different sizes.
The smaller 1/4 sheet rhythm stick pattern cards fit 4 to a page. This is a great size for small groups or to save on printing. I highly recommend printing the cards out on cardstock and then laminating them and they will last you for years to come! You could even clip them onto a binder ring for easy storage!
If you have a large Primary or don’t mind printing (I’m obsessed with HP’s Instant Ink service, it’s made printing so much more budget friendly!!), then the large full-sized rhythm stick pattern cards are perfect for you!
They will be easy for everyone in the Primary to see and they’re a cinch to store in sheet protectors in a binder. I store all 3 sets of my cards including my Ribbon Wand Action Cards and the Dance Scarves Movement cards all in a single binder easy to find!
The large size Rhythm Stick pattern cards are a great option for printing out only the actions you plan to use for the activity, and slowly build up your printed copies over time!
There’s also an included contact sheet page in both document sizes, so you’ll be able to quickly at a glance see all the rhythm stick cards available. This is my go-to resource now for creating a rhythm stick pattern to fit a song! It makes it so easy!!
Get the Rhythm Stick Pattern Cards
The Rhythm Stick Pattern Cards are available for $7 through our digital cart. The purchase includes the large, quarter-page, and contact page printables you’ll have everything you need to get started making your own Rhythm Stick patterns!
You can also find a bundle purchase with all 5 sets of our printable cards (dance scarves, ribbon wands, rhythm sticks, hand bells and egg shakers!) for $25.
Items are also available for purchase on my Etsy shop with a slight upcharge to cover Etsy and transaction fees but with more payment options available.
Keep in mind — email subscribers can save 15% off any purchase!
If you do decide to purchase these, thank you so much for supporting a work at home mom.
What other fun actions would you add to these printable dance scarves cards?