Bring in some rhythm sticks and have some fun with this We Thank Thee O God for a Prophet Rhythm Sticks Pattern in primary! This living music activity is a great way to get lots of practice while trying out fun rhythms!
I’ve created this rhythm sticks pattern for We Thank Thee O God For a Prophet with just 3 different rhythms! This activity is simple enough for both Junior and Primary to enjoy! I’ve also included a demo video later in this post that outlines the whole pattern!
*See 25 Teaching Ideas in this We Thank Thee O God for a Prophet Singing Time Ideas Post*
Affiliate links are used in this post.
I just purchased my first set of rolling rhythm sticks, and I might have to buy a second set so I have extras! They are so much fun! I love using rhythm sticks in primary because they are such a great day to practice rhythms and get lots of repetition!
We Thank Thee O God For a Prophet Rhythm Sticks Pattern
You will love this rhythm sticks pattern! For this activity, I put together 3 different rhythms to create a pattern that can be used for all verses of We Thank Thee, O God, For a Prophet.
During primary, I recommend reviewing the song first. Then, bring out the rhythm sticks and demonstrate each of the three patterns. Invite them to join in whenever they are ready. Then, put up one page of the poster and have the kids try it out!
Once they feel comfortable with one page, sing through the song and add another page! Practice through the whole song with the rhythm pattern until singing time is finished!
3 Rhythm Patterns:
- Steady Tap: For this rhythm, just tap your rhythm sticks together to match the beat of the song. This rhythm is indicated in the pattern by a blue circle.
- Steady Rub: Rub your rhythm sticks together for long words and phrases. This rhythm is indicated by a big red arrow.
- X Pattern: Cross your rhythm sticks up high and tap them together! This rhythm is indicated by a green-colored “X” in the pattern.
- Prepare for this activity by watching the demo video (below). Practice along with a video a few times so you can feel confident teaching it to the children.
- At the beginning of primary, review the first verse of We Thank Thee, O God, For a Prophet lyrics.
- Then, pass out the rhythm sticks. Give one to each child or have children share with a partner.
- Demonstrate each of the 3 rhythms in the rhythm sticks pattern. Have the kids try out the rhythms with you.
- Introduce each page of the rhythm pattern one at a time. Put the page up on the board. Once you try the pattern, sing that page!
- When the children are comfortable with the pattern, add on another page and sing both pages while doing the rhythm sticks pattern. This is a great way to get lots of practice!
- Continue until you can get through the entire rhythm sticks pattern! Use this pattern while singing through the whole song! Add another verse if you’d like! The pattern will work great for all verses of the song.
- Have the children add in some of their own actions! You can choose from our variety of rhythm sticks action cards, or have the children choose their own rhythms!
- Switch your dominant hand! If you tap first with your right hand, try tapping with your left hand.
- If children are sharing rhythm sticks, sing through each page twice, having the kids switch each time. You could also have one child hold one rhythm stick and have their partner work together to play the pattern!
- Choose a keyword to tap along to! Choose a word that comes up in the song often (ex. Prophet, thank). Every time you sing this word, tap your rhythm sticks louder!
We Thank Thee O God For a Prophet Rhythm Sticks Pattern Demo Video
Use this demo video to help you prepare for this fun rhythm sticks activity! In this video, I demonstrate each of the 3 rhythms in this pattern and go through the entire first verse of the song using the pattern.
For another fun activity using rhythm sticks, check out this When He Comes Again Rhythm Sticks idea!
We Thank Thee O God For a Prophet Rhythm Sticks Pattern Printable Lesson Plan
This printable lesson plan includes pattern posters the first verse of the song! I’ve included a key that outline each rhythm and the corresponding symbol for each rhythm. Each page includes two lines of the song.
Print out the first page of this lesson plan for the full activity details, as well as some extension ideas. This is a great way to save ideas for future years!
Print out all 4 pages of the pattern and tape up the posters on the board as you teach this song!
To access the free in-post printables for this post, you’ll just need to create a free account or login with the Grow.me tool. Then, confirm by email and refresh the page and ALL my free printables will automatically unlock in every post!
For more information on why I use a content lock or how to create your account, you can see the FAQ page here.
Try this fun We Thank Thee O God For a Prophet So Thank Fall idea next, perfect for a fall or Thanksgiving themed activity while teaching this song!