You’re going to have so much fun with movement and rhythm using this The Church of Jesus Christ Maori Sticks pattern! The sequence is fast paced to keep up with the rhythm of this song with different pattern for each line, but you can simplify the pattern, too.
The Church of Jesus Christ is on the song rotation in 3 out of the 4 program years, but I like to included it with the List of New Testament Primary Songs because it’s when Christ established the church!
The Church of Jesus Christ Maori Sticks
How to Play:
Sing through The Church of Jesus Christ once, before introducing this activity.
Show the children the pattern once as you sing the song. It’s a fast pattern and it changes every line, so this will help give them a little preview of it all together.
Remind the children if you see children not using the maori sticks appropriately, we’ll need to put them away and switch to a different activity!
Pass out a tote bag with maori sticks to the teachers and let them pass them out.
Teach the pattern one line at a time by demonstrating the pattern while you sing the line, then do the pattern and sing the line together.
Add on the next pattern, practice it together, then start at the beginning and go through the first 2 lines of the song.
Continue to build one pattern and line of the song at a time until you’ve made it all the way through the pattern.
Sing through the song with the pattern a couple times. You can let a different class come up front to help lead the pattern each time.
Description of each Maori Stick Action:
- II Tap Down – Tap the sticks down while they are standing upright.
- X Clap – Clap the two together crossing them to form an X.
- ‘/, Toss & Catch – Make a small controlled toss, and then catch it!
- /\ Pat Lap – Pat both maori sticks on your lap at the same time.
- / Tap Left – Tap with the left hand stick on your lap.
- \ Tap Right – Tap with the right hand stick on your lap.
- //_ Tap Left & Pause – Tap both maori sticks on your left leg, then pause a beat.
- \\_ Tap Right & Pause – Tap both maori sticks on your right leg, then pause a beat.
- -()- Pass Behind Back – Pass the maori sticks behind your back.
- X Clap on Lap – Clap the two sticks in an x shape onto your lap.
- ] [ Drum – Drum in quick succession alternating every word or note.
Pattern Sequence with Lyrics:
|| || X X || || X X || || X X || || X X
(I) belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
I know who I am.
/\ /\ /\
I know God’s plan.
/ \ / \ / \ / \
I’ll fol- low him in fai- th.
//_ \\_ //_ \\_
I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ.
I’ll honor his name.
I’ll do what is right;
I’ll follow his light.
] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
His truth I will pro- cl- ai- m -.
2 Alternate Ways to Play:
- Mix and match the pattern cards to make your own patterns. You can pick 2 patterns and demonstrate how to do them, then rotate which pattern card you hold up! Can they follow along and switch when you do?
- For younger children or a simpler patter, you can repeat just one of these patterns – your choice – through the whole song. Add a second pattern and then repeat the two patterns in sequence through the whole song. Add a third, fourth, etc until you run out of time.
Watch this The Church of Jesus Christ Maori Sticks Video Demo!
To help you see the pattern all come together in one sequence, I created a quick video to show off the pattern and what each of the motions look like. You can watch it here:
For another fun similar activity, head over to see this I Know That My Redeemer Lives Maori Sticks singing time activity!
The Church of Jesus Christ Maori Sticks Rhythm Pattern Chart
This free in-post printable includes a 1-page pattern guide and symbol guide.
Join INSTANT Primary Singing for extended printables including a larger 2-page pattern chart, 1/4 page and full page maori stick cards in color and black and white. You’ll find these bonus files included when The Church of Jesus Christ is the featured song of the month.
To access the free in-post printables for this post, you’ll just need to create a free account or login with the Grow.me tool. Then, confirm by email and refresh the page and ALL my free printables will automatically unlock in every post!
For more information on why I use a content lock or how to create your account, you can see the FAQ page here.
Continue on to this next idea to teach The Church of Jesus Christ with a clever Song Scroll! Unroll as you sing one line at a time.
What other fun ways will you use this singing time activity in your Primary room?