You’re going to fall in love with this fun When I Am Baptized singing time activity! It’s the perfect way to embody this song and teach the melody in a fun way. This When I Am Baptized Rainbow Bar Chart follows the colors of the rainbow as you move through each line of the song along the melody.
When I Am Baptized Rainbow Bar Chart
Sing through When I Am Baptized (flip chart here) once, before introducing this melody bar chart.
Post the bar chart up on the board and ask the children to sing through the song again and look for any patterns or clues they might notice.
After singing through the song, ask the children what they noticed. Some of their answers might include:
- It’s colored like a rainbow
- The notes rise and fall like a rainbow
- Each note is one bar
- The colors go from red to purple, then back from purple to red.
- If you match two pages together it creates a pattern.
The 1st and 2nd set are almost the same! So are the 3rd and 4th set.
Talk about one of the patterns they noticed and try singing the song through again to test their theory. For example: You’re right – it almost does repeat doesn’t it!
Continue to make your way through picking out something they notice and singing through the song.
- Break the room into 2-7 groups (depending on your Primary size). You can assign each group one color or 2-3 colors. I would recommend grouping colors such as red and orange, yellow and green, light blue, blue, and purple. That will make it easier for the kids to follow and know when it’s their part. Have the groups sing only their colored words!
- Pick a color of their choice. Have everyone stand and then quickly sit whenever you sing that color word! Red and Purple will be the easiest as you can hold the stand for 2 notes and have a large space between. Orange and Dark blue will be the trickiest as you’ll sit and stand quickly in sequence.
- Pick a color and clap instead of singing the words matching that color. Now, try with two colors!
- Draw the rise and fall of the notes in the air with an imaginary crayon. What color crayon will they pick? Pause at intervals and let them switch crayon colors.
For another fun similar activity, head over to see this Seek the Lord Early Melody Bar Chart singing time activity!
Printable Song Helps
This free in-post printable includes an 8-page colorful rainbow bar chart that follows the melody and includes the words for the first verse.
Join INSTANT Primary Singing for extended printables including a black and white version, 2nd verse, and without lyrics options. You’ll find these bonus files included when When I Am Baptized is the featured song of the month.
To access the free in-post printables for this post, you’ll just need to create a free account or login with the Grow.me tool. Then, confirm by email and refresh the page and ALL my free printables will automatically unlock in every post!
For more information on why I use a content lock or how to create your account, you can see the FAQ page here.
For another fun way to teach When I Am Baptized, head over to see this When I Am Baptized Beat vs Rhythm activity and mini conducting course!
What other fun ways will you use this singing time activity in your Primary room?