This simple I Am a Child of God finger actions activity can help the kids keep the different verses straight and be a meaningful representation for them of the words in the verse.
This idea was originally shared by a sister on the LDS Primary Choristers Facebook Group. I’ve slightly adapted it and added a chorus – it was a big success with my Primary group!
You can also head over to grab our I Am a Child of God Flip Chart!
I Am a Child of God
In the middle of January, right when I was about to start teaching the song I Am a Child of God, our new first presidency was put in place. I had the privilege to watch the press conference that followed and loved what President Nelson had to say.
At one point, a question was asked about how to teach and retain millennial’s faith and membership in the church. President Nelson replied with the best answer ever. To open with this lesson plan, I shared what the prophet said was the most important thing to teach the youth:
“The best way I know is to help them to understand
what it really means when we sing and say,
‘I am a Child of God’.” – President Nelson
Press Conference on January 16, 2018 (at ~26 minutes)
With that lead in, I then used this fun finger actions activity to introduce the different verses and share this inspired song with my Primary.
For each verse you’ll hold up the number of fingers on each hand as correlates with the song verse (1 finger for the first verse, 2 fingers for the second verse..)
You’ll then continue to do simple actions with those fingers throughout the verse. Here’s the actions:
1st Verse – Use pointer finger on each hand
- I am a Child – point to self with one finger
- of God and He – point to heaven with same single finger
- has sent me here – point to the ground “here”
- has given me an earthly home – form a rooftop by touching your pointer fingers together
- with parents kind and dear – hold out one pointer finger to represent each parent
2nd Verse – Use two fingers on each hand
- I am a Child of God
- and so my needs are great – spread hands apart “great”
- help me to understand – point to head with one hand
- his words before it – point to mouth with other hand
- grows to late – tap watch “too late”
3rd Verse – Use 3 fingers on each hand
- I am a Child of God
- rich blessings are in store – put fingers into pockets like you are “rich”
- if I but learn to do his will – lay fingers out like an open book
- I’ll live with Him once more – one hand points upward to heaven
4th Verse – Use 4 fingers on each hand
- I am a Child of God
- His promises are sure – clasps hands with one hand on top, the other below, rolling fingers together
- Celestial glory – “blinking hand” by opening and closing fingers demonstrating light
- shall be mine – bring both hands in to point to self
- if I can but endure – put both arms up to show off muscles
Optional Chorus Actions (keep same fingers from verse)
- Lead me, guide me, walk beside me – slide fingers forward and back (alternating one forward, and one back)
- help me find the way – draw a curvy path out to one side
- teach me all that I must do – pound one fist on top of the other following the beat
- to live with Him someday – raise both hands upward in front of you towards heaven like being exalted
Close by bearing your testimony of what being a child of God means to you and the reality of what that belief can mean for the children.
I am a Child of God Finger Actions Demo Video
The finger actions for this song are meant to be very simple so that they can help your primary kids remember this song! To help you prepare to teach these actions, I’ve created this short demo video!
In this video, I explain briefly how to use these finger actions to teach all 4 verses of this song. I also demonstrate the finger actions for the first and second verses, as well as the chorus. Hopefully this will give you a good foundation for teaching these actions in singing time this month!
I Am a Child of God Finger Actions Printable Guide
This printable 1-page guide will help you have a go-to list of all the different actions by verse to easily replicate this activity in your own Primary room!
Plus, I created a cute and simple printable to represent each verse or for a fun tool to help you randomly pick which verse to sing next! It’s included in INSTANT Primary Singing membership the month’s I Am a Child of God is a suggested song!
To access the free in-post printables for this post, you’ll just need to create a free account or login with the Grow.me tool. Then, confirm by email and refresh the page and ALL my free printables will automatically unlock in every post!
For more information on why I use a content lock or how to create your account, you can see the FAQ page here.
For another fun activity using their fingers the kids will LOVE is this I Am a Child of God Finger Lights activity!
What other fun adaptations or ways could you use this fun I Am a Child of God Finger Actions idea in your Primary?