This adorable Come Follow Me Footsteps Maze is a perfect way to help the kids visualize the meaning of the song and the lyrics line that says “let us in his footsteps tread” and talk about the meaning of the lyrics plus the significance of following his path!
Your Primary kids will love learning the Come Follow Me Hymn with this purposeful and FUN activity below! This hymn is the PERFECT theme song for the 2023 New Testament Come Follow Me Primary year! You can see all the songs we’ll teach for the New Testament in that post.
*See 25 great Come Follow Me Singing Time Ideas here*
Come Follow Me Footsteps Maze
Sing through Come, Follow Me hymn once before introducing this maze activity. If you are introducing this song for the first time, you may want to grab our Come Follow Me Flip Chart to help!
Ask the children: What did the Savior ask his disciples, and us, to do? (Follow Him!) That’s right, he asks us to follow him.
I thought we could try to do this fun maze together to see if we can find the correct path to Jesus!
Share individual maze worksheets or post the 4-page version up on the board for your Primary to work on together.
Ask the kids: At first glance – what do you notice about this puzzle? Here’s a couple answers you might receive:
- There are footprints going in every direction! Yes, just like many people in this world we’re all walking in all sorts of different directions in life.
- I see/found Jesus! Oh good, I’m so glad you know how to find Jesus! We’re going to try to find the right path to follow him today.
- There are 3 colored footprints at the top. You’re right, see those 3 with color? Those are where we can start the maze. Let’s pick one and color it together while we sing!
Sing through the song again and this time have a helper (or 2 or 3) come up to pick one of the colors (orange, blue, or green) and color in some of the footprints on the path. Pick new volunteers between each time singing.
Continue singing and coloring until you find the correct path and make it all the way to Jesus!
You can add these additional thoughts about each of the path:
- How difficult was it to follow the path of footprints to follow Jesus?
- Did you notice that the green path weaves back and forth? Sometimes we get distracted on our journey but with the Savior’s help we can always get back on the right track!
- The orange path looked like it was going in the right direction, but then it turned! It takes a lot of faith and courage to keep following the Savior, even when things in life get hard.
- Did the blue path of footprints have a perfectly straight journey? Sometimes we have to course correct a little, but look how much easier the blue path was then the other 2!
- As an extension continue to color in the additional paths even after you finish one!
- Have the kids write a variety of “distractions” on top of some of the wrong direction footprints.
- Have everyone form a follow the leader style line and follow you marching around the room to “practice” following in the Savior’s footsteps!
I wanted to also share with you another singing time idea I think you’ll love! It has a lot of the same elements of this activity here, talking about the meaning behind the lyrics in a purposeful way! See how we used a fun Mirror Pass game to teach I Am a Child of God over here.
Come Follow Me Footsteps Maze Printable Singing Time Lesson
This printable lesson plan includes a 1-page overview of how to use this idea in singing time. It includes lots of questions to help add discussion around following the Savior’s path in the children’s everyday lives that adds meaning to the song!
Then, you’ll be able to print a 1-page printable worksheet that’s great to pass out in smaller Primary groups or to use in your personal Come Follow Me family study!
There’s also a 4-page printable version that can be assembled and used up on the board for the whole Primary to participate with the maze together! You’ll assemble it by cutting off all margins and then taping on the back, being careful to overlap slightly as may be necessary to line up the footprints as close as possible.
Subscribe to Primary Singing PLUS+
to Unlock Free Printables
Our printables are free to our email subscribers and loyal fans! You can sign up to join the free Primary Singing PLUS+ to unlock all in-post printables on this website automatically by sharing your email address.
For all the details of how Primary Singing PLUS+ works and answers to FAQs read more details here! Already an email subscriber? Grab your printable below!
Join INSTANT Primary Singing Membership for immediate ad-free access to 25+ printables each month. Plus, exclusive printables you won’t find anywhere else!
For another great way to interact with this song, head over to see our Come Follow Me Hands & Feet singing time idea!
What other fun extension activities could you add when using this Come Follow Me Footsteps Maze activity?