Use this fun I Know That My Redeemer Lives What’s in the Bag visual intrigue singing time idea for an engaging way to introduce or review this song in primary!
For a simple way to practice I Know That My Redeemer Lives, bring in household items to represent each line of the song! In this post, I’ve included several ideas for items to include and additional extension ideas!
* See all I Know That My Redeemer Lives Singing Time *
I Know That My Redeemer Lives What’s in the Bag?
Before primary, gather several items to represent different parts of the song. I found one item for each line of the song. These items can be silly or serious. See my list of items below. Place all your items in a large gift bag or basket so that they cannot be seen.
Sing through the first verse of I Know That My Redeemer Lives (lyrics here). Tell the kids that you brought several items to primary today. Each of the items represents one line of the song. Can you help me figure out which item belongs to which line?
Choose one child to come up and pick an item from the bag. Show the item to the class. How does this item relate to our song? Is there a line that this item might fit?
Have the children share ideas for lines of the song that might fit the item. Then, sing through the line and move on to another item! You can also sing the entire verse in between each item.
Continue reviewing and choosing items until you have revealed all the items in the bag. Sing the song one more time before sharing your testimony and closing.
I Know That My Redeemer Lives What’s in the Bag Items:
Line 1: “I Know That My Redeemer Lives” – Picture of Jesus
Line 2: “What comfort this sweet sentence gives” – Blanket, teddy bear, or picture of your pet
Line 3: “He lives, He lives who once was dead” –Picture of Christ’s tomb, a small rock, or some soil
Line 4: “He lives, my ever-living Head” – Picture of faces that point to the head
Line 5: “He lives to bless me with his love” – paper heart or sign that says “Love”
Line 6: “He lives to plead for me above” – prayer rock, picture of Gethsemane, picture of praying
Line 7: “He lives my hungry soul to feed” – apple, snack
Line 8: “He lives to bless in time of need” – Alarm clock, watch
- Write out each line of the song on the board. You can also print off each phrase (this post has a printable with lyrics word strips for the song). Print pictures that represent each line. Match the picture to the correct line!
- Once you determine which line of the song an object corresponds with, have a child hide the item! Have a seeker come in and look for the item while the class sings the song. Sing louder when they are close to finding the item!
- Bring in several pictures of Christ. There is so much beautiful artwork of the Savior! Post the pictures on the board during singing time. Write something the Savior does for us on the back of each picture.
- Have the kids rearrange the objects in order, then talk about one object that they moved between each time singing your way through the song. You can discuss how it relates to the song, why you picked the object, or share how that blessing (from the song lyrics line) has impacted your life.
- Let the kids illustrate an image to match with the coordinating word from each line of the song.
- Put the pictures in an envelope (instead of a bag). Number the envelopes and tape them all to the board. Have a child pick one of the numbers. Open that envelope and learn and repeat sing the corresponding line of the song.
For another fun similar activity, head over to see this I Feel My Savior’s Love What’s In the Bag singing time activity!
Printable Helps Not Needed!
This post doesn’t include a free printable. You’ll find everything you need to use this activity above! If you want additional graphics to use for this activity, be sure to join INSTANT Primary Singing! Here’s a little sneak peek of just a few things included in this file.
Join INSTANT Primary Singing to find a printable lesson plan and graphic helps for this activity. You’ll find these bonus files included when I Know That My Redeemer Lives hymn is the featured song of the month.
For another review idea, grab this I Know That My Redeemer Lives Foreign Language activity!
What other fun ways will you use this singing time activity in your Primary room?