Are you teaching Tell Me Dear Lord this year in primary? This song is listed as one of the suggested songs for November in the 2023 Come Follow Me New Testament Primary Song List.
November is sometimes a tricky month because you may have already finished your primary program (pat yourself on the back) and are now getting started on Christmas songs. If you need a quick song to teach this fall, Tell Me Dear Lord is a great choice!
Use this fun Tell Me Dear Lord Song Quiz to review the song lyrics by answering questions that come directly from the lyrics!
Tell Me Dear Lord Song Quiz
This song quiz activity is meant to be a fun, challenging way to see how well your primary kiddos know this song! Have the kids answer questions about the song while reviewing!
I’ve included 8 trivia questions that come directly from the song lyrics! In this post, you’ll find all 8 questions, as well as a guide for where the answers can be found in the song. Be sure to grab the printable later in this post that includes all 8 questions, as well as an answer key!
This activity focuses primarily on the lyrics of the song. If you want to work on the melody of the song, pair this song quiz idea with this melody map! This way, you can spend some time working on both the lyrics and the melody!
Start by reviewing the first verse of Tell Me Dear Lord (lyrics here) at the beginning of singing time. Then, ask the kids if they’re up for a challenge! Ask the first trivia question and give the kids a minute or two to ponder the question. Have kids raise their hand to answer.
If the question is answered correctly, invite the child to come to the front to lead the music! You could also have some simple prizes ready to give.
Then, move on to the next question! Continue working through the questions and reviewing the song each time. Once you’ve correctly answered all the trivia questions, sing through the verse one more time.
Remind the children that all the answers can be found in the song. If the kids are having a hard time with a question, just go to the line where the answer is found and sing that line! Did you catch the answer?
You can also have the lyrics written on the board to provide some hints. This might be especially helpful if you have a lot of younger primary kids.
Song Quiz Questions:
- Finish the phrase: In thine own way I… [Pray]
- Pick 2: What thou would’st have me [ Do / Say / Be / Share ]
- Pick 2: Teach me to [ Pray / Love / See / Know ]
- What comes next? Help me to understand thy… [Loving word]
- What word is used to describe the Lord? A. Dear B. Kind C. Good
- What does the Lord teach us to know and love? His will
- Tell Who? A. Tell Dad B. Tell Me C. Tell Mom
- Tell Me, Teach Me… A. Show Me B. Hug Me C. Help Me
Song Lyrics Hints:
Tell me, dear Lord, in thine own way I pray.
What thou would’st have me say and do today.
Teach me to know and love thy will, O Lord;
Help me to understand thy loving word.
- Add some friendly competition! Split the room into two groups and award points for each correct answer. There are lots of ways to do this! Have one person from each team come to the front and see who can get the answer first!
- Write a silly action on the back of each question! Each time a question is answered, sing through the song using the silly action!
- Give each child a copy of the questions. Have them quietly write down their answers while you review the song during singing time. At the end of singing time, go over the questions and see who got the answers correct!
For another fun similar activity, head over to see this Behold the Great Redeemer Die Song Trivia Quiz singing time activity!
Tell Me Dear Lord Song Quiz Printable Song Helps
This free in-post printable includes 8 quiz questions in 1/4-page printables. You’ll also find an answer key.
Join INSTANT Primary Singing for extended printables including full page questions that you can use as a slideshow and questions for the 2nd verse. You’ll find these bonus files included when Tell Me Dear Lord is the featured song of the month.
To access the free in-post printables for this post, you’ll just need to create a free account or login with the Grow.me tool. Then, confirm by email and refresh the page and ALL my free printables will automatically unlock in every post!
For more information on why I use a content lock or how to create your account, you can see the FAQ page here.
For another fun way to review this song, head over to this Tell Me Dear Lord Hand Claps activity!
What other fun ways will you use this song quiz activity in your Primary room?