Use this fun When He Comes Again Sway and Freeze purposeful movement activity in singing time this month! This activity requires little to no prep and is such a fun way to get the kids engaged in primary!
My Junior primary especially has so much fun with this sway and freeze primary lesson! For this activity, sway back and forth as you sing When He Comes Again until you hear the words “FREEZE!”
**See lots of teaching ideas in this post with 25 When He Comes Again Singing Time Ideas**
When He Comes Again Sway and Freeze
I love having some simple activities in my back pocket for those busy weeks. This activity is definitely one of those! I used this sway and freeze activities last year and the kids had so much fun! They especially enjoyed getting to stand up front and call out “Freeze!” to the rest of the class!
This activity is pretty simple and only requires a few instructions. Before starting this activity, I recommend taking a few minutes to review When He Comes Again Lyrics. This is a great way to give the kids a refresher on the lyrics before beginning an activity.
Then, have the kids stand up. You can demonstrate the swaying motion by taking small steps side to side. You might also let your arms follow your steps by swaying with your feet. Then, let the kids try!
As they are swaying, randomly call out “FREEZE” and see what happens. You will likely get some laughs, but the kids will probably stop their motion. Explain that as you sing, they will trade off swaying and stopping.
To add some fun to this activity, try using my printable FREEZE sign found in this post! I created this simple sign that says “FREEZE” and taped it to a popsicle stick after laminating it. I used this sign while teaching He Sent His Son in primary and the kids LOVED it!
Just head over to this He Sent His Son Sway and Freeze activity and print out the cute “Freeze” sign found in the printable there!
Since this song is written in a question and answer form, have the kids sway on the questions and freeze to hear the answers!
How to Play:
- Start by reviewing the first verse of When He Comes Again. If you are teaching both verses, review them both!
- Then, have the kids stand up and sway from side to side without the music. You may need to remind them to stay in their area! (I have them pretend there is a little piece of glue on the floor where they are standing).
- Then, surprise them by calling out “Freeze!” You may get some giggles but the kids will probably freeze. Have the kids practice this a few more times before singing.
- Then, add in the music! Start singing the first verse of the song and have the kids sway back and forth.
- While the kids are singing the “questions” in the song, have them sway. Then, when you sing the answer, have the kids freeze!
- Continue singing through the verses as you sway and freeze!
- Play “Follow the Leader!” Choose a child to come to the front of the room to lead the class. They will be in charge of choosing when the group has to freeze.
- Choose another action to use instead of swaying. Ex. Rolling arms, jumping jacks, twirling around. Have the kids come up with some ideas of actions they’d like to do! You could even write the actions on strips of paper and have the children draw them from a jar or bowl.
- Have the children walk in a circle around the room. When the music stops, children must freeze. Randomly pick a child to say or sing the next few words of the song!
- Instead of singing while you freeze, hum or whistle the melody! Each time sing the verse, pick a new way to sing!
For another example of a Sway and Freeze activity, check out this Keep the Commandments Sway and Freeze!
When He Comes Again Sway and Freeze Printable Lesson Plan
Here’s a simple lesson plan to aid you as you prep for this activity! I like to keep all my lesson plans in one place so I can reuse ideas as I teach different songs! This printable includes activity instructions and 4 additional fun ways to play!
Simply print out this lesson plan and bring it with you to primary if you need a reminder of how to play. If not, just tuck it away for another singing time activity!
Subscribe to Primary Singing PLUS+
to Unlock Free Printables
Our printables are free to our email subscribers and loyal fans! You can sign up to join the free Primary Singing PLUS+ to unlock all in-post printables on this website automatically by sharing your email address.
For all the details of how Primary Singing PLUS+ works and answers to FAQs read more details here! Already an email subscriber? Grab your printable below!
Join INSTANT Primary Singing Membership for immediate ad-free access to 25+ printables each month. Plus, exclusive printables you won’t find anywhere else!
For another way to review this song in primary, try this When He Comes Again Dropped the Pictures activity!
How will you use this fun movement idea in singing time?