Do you want to better get to know the many different women in the scriptures? You’ll love these printable info cards with custom art and a scripture for each of their stories. Use different stories of women from the scriptures in connection with your choice of Mother’s Day Primary song for an engaging activity that gets you talking about mothers!
Women in the Scriptures Cheat Sheet
I LOVED taking the time to research the different Women across the Old Testament, New Testament, Book of Mormon and even Doctrine & Covenants and Pearl of Great Price. They are such strong and powerful examples of faith, obedience, enduring hard trials, and other lessons we can learn.
Here’s the list I came up with that covers 25 different Women in the Scriptures and one scripture verse to try to share a piece of their story. Space was a limiting factor, so definitely dig further into their stories and you can find them around the verse listed!
- Mary Mother of Jesus – Luke 1:28 “And the angel came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou that art highly favoured, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women.” Luke 2:19 “Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart.”
- Mary Magdalene – John 20:16 “Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master.”
- Daughter of Jarius – Luke 8:54 “And he put them all out, and took her by the hand, and called, saying, Maid, arise. And her spirit came again, and she arose straightway”
- Woman with the issue of blood – Luke 8:44,48 “Came behind him, and touched the border of his garment: and immediately her issue of blood stanched.” “And he said unto her, Daughter, be of good comfort; thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace.”
- Samaritan woman at the well – John 4:28-29 “The woman left her waterpot, and went her way into the city, and saith to the men, Come see a man, which told me all things that ever I did: is not this the Christ?”
- Elisabeth Mother of John the Baptist – Luke 1:6, 13 “And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless.” “Thy wife Elisabeth shall bear thee a son, and thou shalt call his name John.”
- Anna – Luke 2:37 “And she was a widow of about fourscore and four years, which departed not from the temple, but served God with fastings and prayers night and day”
- Mary & Martha – Luke 10:39-40 “And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus’ feet, and heard his word. But Martha was cumbered about much serving.” John 12:3 “Then took Mary a pound of ointment of spikenard, very costly, and anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped his feet with her hair”
Book of Mormon:
- Sariah – 1 Nephi 5:6-7 “And after this manner of language did my father comfort my mother, Sariah, concerning us, while we journeyed in the wilderness up to the land of Jerusalem, to obtain the record of the Jews. And when we had returned to the tent of my father, behold their joy was full, and my mother was comforted.”
- Abish – Alma 19:17 “Having been converted unto the Lord, and never having made it known, therefore when she saw all the servants of Lamoni had fallen to the earth, and also her mistress, the queen, and the king, and Ammon lay prostrate upon the earth, she knew that it was the power of God… therefore she ran forth from house to house, making it known unto the people.”
- King Lamoni’s Wife – Alma 19:9-11 “Now the queen having heard of the fame of Ammon, therefore she sent and desired that he should come in unto her.” “She said unto him: I have no witness save thy word, and the word of our servants; nevertheless I believe that it shall be according as thou has said. And Ammon said unto her: Blessed art thou because of thy exceeding faith; I say unto thee, woman, there has not been such great faith among all the people of the Nephites. And it came to pass that she watched over the bed of her husband, from that time even until the time on the morrow which Ammon had appointed that he should rise.”
- Mothers of the Stripling Warriors – Alma 56:47 “Now they never had fought, yet they did not fear death; and they did think more upon liberty of their fathers than they did upon their lives; yea, they had been taught by their mothers, that if they did not doubt, God would deliver them.”
Doctrine & Covenants:
- Emma Smith Wife of Joseph Smith – D&C 25:3,11 “Thou art an elect lady, whom I have called” “And it shall be given thee, also, to make a selection of sacred hymns, as it shall be given thee, which is pleasing unto me”
- Lucy Mack Smith Mother of Joseph Smith – Joseph Smith History 1:20 “When I came to myself again, I found myself lying on my back, looking up into heaven. When the light had departed, I had no strength; but soon recovering in some degree, I went home. And as I leaned up to the fireplace, mother inquired what the matter was.”
- Mary Fielding Smith Wife of Hyrum Smith – “I will beat you to the valley and will ask no help from you either.” https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/ensign/2011/07/small-and-simple-things/mary-fielding-smith
- Daughters of Onitah – Abraham 1:11 “Now this priest had offered upon this altar three virigins at one time, who were the daughters of Onitah, one of the royal descent directly from the loins of Ham. These virgins were offered up because of their virtue; they would not bow down to worship gods of wood or of stone”
- Eve – Genesis 3:20 “And Adam called his wife’s name Eve; because she was the mother of all living”
- Ruth with Naomi – Ruth 1:16 “Whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God”
- Hannah – 1 Samuel 1:27-28 “For this child I prayed; and the Lord hath given me my petition which I asked of him: Therefore also I have lent him to the Lord; as long as he liveth he shall be lent to the Lord.”
- Sarah – Genesis 17:15-16 “Sarah shall her name be. And I will bless her, and give thee a son also of her; yea, I will bless her, and she shall be a mother of nations; kings of people shall be of her.”
- Rachel – Genesis 29:17-18 “Rachel was beautiful and well favoured. And Jacob loved Rachel; and said, I will serve thee seven years for Rachel thy younger daughter.”
- Deborah – Judges 4:4,9 “And Deborah, a prophetess, the wife of Lapidoth, she judged Israel at that time.” “And she said, I will surely go with thee”
- Esther – Esther 4:16 “I also and my midens will fast likewise; and so will I go in unto the king, which is not according to the law: and if I perish, I perish.”
- Rebekah – Genesis 24:19-20 “And she she had done giving him drink, she said, I will draw water for thy camels also, until they have done drinking. And she hasted, and emptied her pitcher into the trough, and ran again unto the well to draw water, and drew for all his camels.”
- Miriam Sister of Moses – Exodus 15:20-21 “And Miriam the prophetess, the sister of Aaron, took a timbrel in her hand; and all the women went out after her with timbrels and with dances. And Miriam answered them, Sing ye to the Lord, for he hath triumphed gloriously;”
Women in the Scriptures Singing Time Idea
How to Play:
Teach about different women in the scriptures while teaching your choice of song.
Show one of your women scripture cards and ask the children to raise their hand if they remember this woman’s story. Ask one child to share who this woman is and a short recap of her story! (30 seconds) What is one thing we learn from this woman’s example?
Sing through your song of choice before picking out another woman to talk about.
Continue to work your way through picking out a woman from the scripture and sharing what we can learn from them.
- Use this activity for Mother’s Day and point out one way this woman from the scriptures is strong or loving or devoted like mother’s today! It’s a great way to teach your Mother’s Day song selection!
- Hide the scripture women cards around the room and let the Primary children hunt for them. When they find them, add them to the board and sing to all the women from the scriptures just like you would sing to your mom in the audience!
- Use one of these two wonderful quotes from President Nelson from his talk “Sisters Participation in the Gathering of Israel” from October 2018.
- “Through the years, whenever I have been asked why I chose to become a medical doctor, my answer has always been the same: ‘Because I could not choose to be a mother.’” – President Nelson
- “No one can do what a righteous woman can do. No one can duplicate the influence of a mother.” – President Nelson
- Can you name the women in the scriptures? Bring in the blank cards and have the children write in their names!
Head over next to this cute Make a Mom Mother’s Day activity perfect for teaching any song for Mother’s Day!
Women in the Scriptures Visuals
I’ve included 4 different favorite Women from the scriptures in this free in-post printable packet! You’ll find Mary, Mothers of the Stripling Warriors, Emma Smith, and Hannah in this printable.
You’ll also find a whole bunch of extended printables included in April Old Testament INSTANT Primary Singing membership as many of the women come from that book of scripture.
Or, pickup the entire set of Women in the Scriptures which includes all 25 with 1/4 sheet and full pages sizes in color and black and white and with the scriptures or just their names so you can use them to decorate your Primary room, teach about different women scripture heroes, or use these strong women in connection with teaching a Mother’s Day song!
To access the free in-post printables for this post, you’ll just need to create a free account or login with the Grow.me tool. Then, confirm by email and refresh the page and ALL my free printables will automatically unlock in every post!
For more information on why I use a content lock or how to create your account, you can see the FAQ page here.
For another wonderful singing time idea for Mother’s Day, you’ll love this Make a Bouquet Flowers for Mom with ways to sing cards!
What other fun ways could you use these Women in the Scriptures cards in Primary?