Try this fun Grandmother Primary Song Can You Sing It Solo activity to review for Mother’s Day! See how well your primary kids know this sweet song by trying different solo & group challenges!
This post includes 8 fun group challenges to use in singing time! Be sure to grab the printable at the end of this post with group challenge action cards to use during this singing time activity!
Grandmother Primary Song Can You Sing It Solo?
My primary kids always enjoy a little singing time challenge! This activity has lots of fun solo & group challenges to use as you review this song for Mother’s Day!
Start by reviewing Grandmother Mother’s Day song at the beginning of primary. Ask the class if there is anyone who thinks they can sing one of the verses all by themselves!
You may only have one or two brave hands up at this point in the activity. Have your brave volunteers come up and tell you which verse they want to sing. Have them choose if they want you to help them sing or not. Then, have them sing through a verse!
It’s scary to sing by yourself sometimes! That’s why it may be a good idea to have a small prize or treat for your first volunteers. You can grab some small items from the Dollar Tree or bring in candy.
Then, see if there are any kids that would like to sing in a small group of 2-3. Have them sing together.
If you still have time left after the solos, add in the challenges! You can also start off with the group challenges if you have lots of shy kids in primary. Singing in small groups may help them build up the courage to sing a solo!
I’ve created 8 different group challenges to use for this activity. You can find a chart with all the challenges in the printable later in this post. Cut the challenge cards and post them on the board so that the challenges are hidden.
Then, choose a child to come up and pick a card at random. Turn over the card and sing the song how the card indicates!
8 Solo & Group Challenges:
You can use these solo & group challenges for any primary song you are learning! Try some of these challenges and see what other fun challenges you can think of!
These cards should help divide the class in lots of different ways so that the kids don’t sing with the same group every time
- Girls VS Boys: Have the girls sing the first verse together, then have the boys sing! Grab the printable primary cue cards in this post.
- Right Side VS Left Side: Have one side of the room sing at a time. Try to even out the sides so that there are roughly the same number of kids on both sides.
- Teachers VS Kids: Have the children trade off singing with the teachers! This is a great way to get your primary teachers more involved in singing time!
- Back Row VS Front Row: Split the room in half with the back half of the room in one group and the front half in another group. Take turns singing!
- Loud VS Soft: Sing through the song loudly the first time, then see how quietly you can sing the second time! Check out this Choose the Right Lion & Mouse activity for an example of how to use dynamics in singing time!
- Dogs VS Cats: See which kids like dogs or cats more! Label one side of the room “dogs” and the other side “cats.” Have the kids move to whichever side has the pet they like best!
- Class VS Class: Have each class sing together! Since the song is pretty short, you can have each class sing a verse.
- Winter VS Summer: This challenge is similar to dogs vs cats. Have the kids decide which season is their favorite, then have each group sing together! If you have a larger primary, you can add spring and fall too!
- See what other challenges you can come up with! Get the kids involved and see if they can think of any fun challenges to try while you sing!
- Invite a visitor to come to primary! You might invite members of the bishopric or missionaries to listen and decide which group “wins” each challenge.
- Add in some other Mother’s Day songs to the mix! Put the names of different Mother’s Day songs in a jar and choose a song + a challenge!
- Hide the challenge cards around the room! While you sing the song through the first time, have the kids look around for cards. Once you find a card, try the challenge!
For another fun variation, try this Candy For Courage Singing Time Review Game!
Grandmother Primary Song Can You Sing It Solo Printable Challenge Cards
Print out these 8 printable group challenge cards to use for this activity! This printable includes 8 colorful challenge cards to print and post on the board during singing time.
To access the free in-post printables for this post, you’ll just need to create a free account or login with the Grow.me tool. Then, confirm by email and refresh the page and ALL my free printables will automatically unlock in every post!
For more information on why I use a content lock or how to create your account, you can see the FAQ page here.
Head over to this Grandmother Primary Song Fill in the Blank for another Mother’s Day activity!
Which one of these group challenges did your primary kids enjoy the most?