What better way to review Teach Me to Walk in the Light this month than with finger lights? Light up the room with this fun movement activity as you review this song and learn about the light of Christ.
**Head Here to See all 12 Teach Me to Walk in the Light Singing Time Ideas!**
*This post contains affiliate links*
Finger lights can be such a fun addition to any primary activity! Finger lights are mainly used to add movement while you learn a new song in singing time.
I just purchased my own set of 40 finger lights from Amazon and I am so excited to use them! This set is great because it comes with 4 different colors with plenty of lights for a large or small primary!
Teach Me to Walk in the Light Finger Lights
This finger light activity can be so fun and so effective! The idea for this activity is actually very similar to our Magic Crayon visual activity. For this activity, we’ll be using our finger lights to create simple and fun shapes in the air.
Here are some fun shapes I came up with for this activity:
- Lightning Bolt
- “Rainbow” shape
We have a printable late in this post that includes 8 fun shapes that are easy to create with finger lights. After doing a quick review of the song, pass out one finger light to each child.
Then, show the shapes by taping them to the board. Demonstrate creating the shapes and invite the children to try it out with their own lights! Then add in the music! Choose one shape and see if the kids can make it through the song while creating that shape.
Continue singing the song and choosing shapes to create. It can be really fun to switch shapes throughout the song, and you might even have kids take turns coming up and choosing the shapes!
- At the beginning of primary, review the first verse of Teach Me to Walk in the Light (flip chart here). Ask the children to think about the importance of light.
- Turn off the lights and begin passing out the finger lights. Allow the children to turn their lights on and notice the difference the light makes!
- Put the finger light actions on the board and demonstrate each shape using the finger lights.
- Invite the primary children to try creating the shapes with their lights before adding music. You might have the pianist play the song quietly in the background.
- Then, begin singing! As you sing, choose one shape at a time for the children to create with their lights. You can use a pointer to switch shapes at any point in the song.
- You might invite children to take turns choosing shapes while you sing and let them come up with their own ideas!
- Play “Guess that Shape!” Invite one child to come up to the front of the classroom. While you sing, have them create a shape in the air with their finger lights. Have the children try to guess what shape they are making. Keep taking turns until you make it through all verses of the song!
- Have the children turn off their lights at a random point in the song. You might do this by turning on your own finger light and turning it off. When you turn off your light, see how quickly the children follow and turn off their lights!
- Split the class into a few small groups. Have each group come up with their own “finger light routine” by creating different shapes with their lights. Have each group perform their routine and sing a short portion of the song.
For more fun ideas and ways to incorporate these cute little lights, head over to our The Holy Ghost Finger Lights singing time idea.
Teach Me to Walk in the Light Finger Lights Printable Lesson Plan
This handy Teach Me to Walk in the Light Printable Lesson Plan includes instructions for the activity and extension ideas. The second page of the printable includes 8 fun shapes to use for this activity!
Print out the first page to help you prep for your lesson and tape the second page up on the board to use during the activity!
Subscribe to Primary Singing PLUS+
to Unlock Free Printables
Our printables are free to our email subscribers and loyal fans! You can sign up to join the free Primary Singing PLUS+ to unlock all in-post printables on this website automatically by sharing your email address.
For all the details of how Primary Singing PLUS+ works and answers to FAQs read more details here! Already an email subscriber? Grab your printable below!
Join INSTANT Primary Singing Membership for immediate ad-free access to 25+ printables each month. Plus, exclusive printables you won’t find anywhere else!
You will love this fun Teach Me to Walk in the Light Rebus activity next!